When finalizing any space, one of the best designer tips is to add greenery. Something about greenery can make a room feel complete and welcoming. Of course, nothing beats the real thing, but that is not always feasible depending on where you live and how much time you have for maintenance. Greenery can be difficult to manage and expensive; thankfully, faux stems are an amazing alternative. There are some great options out there, too! Here are the CASS top tips for decorating with faux stems and the best places to search to give your space that finished designer look.
Why You Should Be Using Faux Stems in Your Decor
There are many reasons why you should be using faux stems in your home. Faux stems are functional, durable and can almost look like the real thing when chosen properly. Here are seven reasons why you should consider adding them to your space.
Faux stems leave you with the ease of a fresh look year round. No matter the season or lack of sunlight, these arrangements will keep their look for years to come.
This is a big one! Allergy season is the worst, but luckily faux stems don’t have pollen. Say goodbye to sneezing!
Faux stems hardly need upkeep besides an occasional dusting. You can rest assured that days of pruning or watering are gone. If you leave home for a vacation, watering plants will be the last thing on your mind!
Faux stems won’t bring any unwanted insects into your home. I love a foraged branch but they often come with little tiny creatures that you may not like. With faux stems, no need to worry about any unwelcomed guests like bugs or spiders.
Designer Looks Without The Hassle
Quality has drastically improved in the fake plant world, so your options are incredibly lifelike and realistic. Faux stems come at a much more affordable price than a lot of real plants when you consider their longevity.
Place Them Anywhere
Another point of ease! You can put faux stems anywhere in your home! There’s no need to find the best lighting because faux stems will stay green in light or darkness.
Elevate the Look of Your Space
Faux stems promise to elevate the look of your space. In my opinion, any room looks better with a vase with greenery or stems. It can be used for shelf decor, table centerpieces, entry or bedroom styling, kitchen island creations, and much more. When you’re stuck on decor, no matter the season, faux stems can be a great go-to.
What to Look for When Purchasing Faux Stems
Not all faux stems are created equally. Some simply look like rubber. These don’t really lend too much to your home decor. But if you use a good faux stem, some may not even be able to tell that it’s fake. There are a few key points to consider when choosing your faux stems, whether you’re shopping online or in person.
Variation in Color
A few questions to ask yourself when choosing the perfect faux stem arrangement: Are the back and front the same color? Is the stem a different color than the top? Are there berries or another adornment that could have a change in color throughout the stem? When a stem has these features, it will make the faux version look more life-like by adding dimension. The same way you would layer different patterns and textures for accent pieces, fake plants are the same.
Being able to shape faux stems is crucial to creating a more realistic look. The point is to be able to add these just about anywhere, and being able to adapt easily means you have to bend them around to hug onto something or fit in a vase with other greenery. Creating more free form shapes lends to a realistic look and bendable stems allows you to do this with ease!
Not all stems need to be tall, but having a few taller stems throughout your home is a great way to fill vertical space, especially for a console table or dresser styling. Faux stems can easily work as a centerpiece, so the bigger, the better to keep a clean look.
Favorite Faux Stems
I have a few favorite places I love to check out when searching for a new arrangement. All of these are tried and true places to purchase the best green stems.
My Favorite Stores:
- Amazon – Look for products that have 4+ star reviews. A lot of times, there are photos showing the product in person within the reviews.
- Afloral – they always have the most unique pieces and can always find what you’re looking for.
- Etsy – You can find some really unique pieces here!
- Pottery Barn – The price will be a little bit higher, but the quality is amazing!
- Hobby Lobby – They always have tons of bi-weekly sales you don’t want to miss out on!
You’ll notice all these stems are natural looking for the environment here in Coastal Carolina. Using stems that are more natural to the habitat where you live further creates a more realistic look. Mixing dried stems with greenery adds texture and interest to your space. These are stems that are go-to’s for CASS designs as well as used throughout my own home.
How to Style Faux Stems to Make Them Look Real
To keep those arrangements looking nice and fresh all year, here are a few key pointers to remember.
- Use water if your vase is clear. It may sound silly but trust me, it would look odd if there weren’t any. It gives the illusion of freshness.
- Be sure to bend the stems and fluff. It creates a sense of symmetry without worrying about perfection. Make sure there is white space between the branches that isn’t perfectly matched. Remember, the point is for these to look realistic; most plants vary in various directions.
- Use paper or plastic to fill vases for added height. This is an easy fix if your stems aren’t long enough.
- Vary the height of stems. This often can mean bending the bottoms to create an illusion that the stems are all of different heights. No two stems from nature are the exact same length, so the same rule applies here, and dimension follows.
Greenery is always essential to create that designer look in your home. It’s totally worth it to invest in quality faux stems to elevate any space for a finished natural look. You can keep them forever and swap them throughout different seasons and is honestly of my favorite things to decorate.